We are a small team of physicists and computer scientists with a love for experimenting with new technology. We want to work with likeminded individuals who take initiative in solving problems and are proactive about finding the best tool for the job.
Our architecture revolves around a user-facing webapp used to launch customized analysis processes on our data pipeline. As a backend engineer, you will mainly be focused on building upon the data pipeline. You will work on a range of projects including:
- Introducing more concurrency and parallelism into our data pipeline to improve the capacity, turnaround time, and the interactivity of our system.
- Adding to our measurement capabilities to monitor and optimize the performance of the system.
- Building the foundation for our next-generation named entity disambiguation platform.
- Working side-by-side with our data scientists to incorporate user feedback and statistical models into our data pipeline.
- Bringing realtime queries to our users.
- Extending our library of text analytics modules and implement sophisticated text enrichment and filtering into our data pipeline.
We love new technology and are open to experimenting with new frameworks and tools. We hope you can bring us more interesting tech we can work with. That said, here is an overview of what we are working with so far:
- Frontend: Typescript, React, Tailwind, GraphQL
- Backend: Docker, Python, Flask, Postgres, SQLAlchemy, Elasticsearch
- Infra & CI/CD: AWS, Github Actions, DataDog, k8s (soon-to-be)
Our backend is written in Python because it has the best support for open source machine learning libraries, and this is at the core of everything we do. We make extensive use of its typing and concurrency support.
- Strong Python (or demonstrative polyglot abilities)
- AWS or equivelant cloud platform experience
- Good understanding of concurrency
- Experience building data intensive applications / data pipelines
- Elasticsearch (or similar full-text-search)
- Information retrieval expertise
- Experience with text analytics / NLP
Start date: as soon as possible
This is a full-time position. We are a remote-first company. We welcome applicants from anywhere within 4 hours of our London headquarters' timezone. Please apply to come and (virtually) meet our team, hear about the projects we’ll be working on next and see if there is a fit.